Private club
About Us


The Maenner Chor of Norristown is a local organization

​We are working on the new site, please bear with us!
Contact Us
3rd Annual Norristown Police
Thomas Barone Memorial Car Show
Pictures from this year's event are now available - Click here

Join our newsletter
A Bit of Club History
The Maenner-Chor was founded in Norristown April 14, 1867 by German American citizens and American friends.  The organization grew out of gatherings of these friends to talk about their homeland and sing German folk songs on Sundays and in the evenings.  The Maenner-Chor singers first appeared before a public audience in December 1868 and soon become well known throughout the area and neighboring communities. Their participation in many contests attracted wide public acclaim. 
The association developed rapidly and soon a hall was rented on Lafayette Street to accommodate all its members.  Even this space became too small and the group had to move; a building on Main and Mill Streets was acquired and later to 60 E. Main Street. 
In 1894, the officers re-organized the club and secured a charter from the Montgomery County court and in the years just before the turn of the century, the Maenner-Chor purchased property at 36-38 E. Penn Street.  This building remained the home of the organization for the next 60 years.
During World War I, a school for children was established promoting German culture but during this time and the early 1920s, the club suffered a decline. New immigrants, however brought new life to the chorus.  The prohibition era during the Great Depression brought financial crisis which were survived only by the sacrifice and dedication of the devoted members.
After World War II, the Penn Street properties were required for proposed expansion of the county offices from the county courthouse and it became necessary for the Club to look for new quarters.  Ground was purchased at 920 Haws Avenue by Joseph Kopp and his committee for a new building headquarters.  The present large hall was erected in 1962 by Albert Cofer and his committee